Friday, April 18, 2008

This and that

Yeah for Friday! It is so crazy to me how quickly the weeks go these days. It will be summer before we know it!

Here are a few thoughts from my week:

*Wednesday was my nephew, James's 2nd birthday. We love him so much and are so excited to celebrate his birthday tomorrow! Michael and Jilinda are also coming down for the party, and that always makes us happy. I love having Michael here to entertain my boys. Yes, there will be lots of ball playing in the backyard this weekend!

*Matthew had two games this week. Both games, he hit the ball! He has another lovely bruise on his leg from being pegged by the pitcher from Monday's game, and he is so proud of it. The pitchers are getting better, so he hasn't walked as much as he did in the last few weeks.

*Last night, I dropped Matthew off 45 minutes before his game, and started heading over to Lauren's house. Lauren graciously agreed to take Thomas to soccer practice so I wouldn't miss Matthew's game. We were in a hurry, so I ran through the McDonald's drive through to grab some takeout for ME and me. (The boys had already eaten). Other than an occasional breakfast, I eat at McDonald's maybe once a year. We have a Wendy's and Burger King on the same street as McDonald's, and I like those better.

Anyway, I ordered a happy meal for ME, and a quarter pounder WITHOUT CHEESE, ketchup and pickles only. Anyone who knows me knows my huge disgust at the sight and smell of cheese. ESPECIALLY the cheese those little squares of cheese they put on hamburgers. I am starting to gag just thinking about it. Well, the girl took my order and I saw it on the screen:

Quarter Pounder With Cheese
no ketchup
no pickles

I explained to her again what I wanted. For some reason, McDonald's is the only restaurant that I have to explain multiple times, "No cheese!". I might as well have asked for a hamburger without meat and bun.

Well, I get up to the window and asked the girl to check and see if any cheese was put on my hamburger. She assured me that all was good. She hands me the package, and I open the burger only to see two slices of cheese on it. I hand it back asking again for no cheese. I wait a minute and she hands me a new one and apologizes. I open it again and THE NEW ONE ALSO HAD CHEESE ON IT! Wow. They ask me to pull forward and they would bring it out. In the meantime, I reach in ME's happy meal to give her her hamburger. I look in the bag and see fries and a toy. No hamburger. I finally get my order right and ask for a hamburger for my happy meal. Mama's don't let your babies grow up to be McDonald's employees...

*Matthew's teacher called me yesterday to explain a low grade Matthew got on a test. They were studying about plants and one of the few questions on the test was, Why do humans need plants? Matthew's answer? To make their backyards look great! Now that's a gardener's son's answer! Unfortunately, that wasn't one they had studied in school! ;)

*Thanks to Alyssa's recommendation, I read The Last Town On Earth this week. I am always a sucker for a good tragedy, and this one fit the bill. It took place in 1918 during a horrible flu epidemic. Over 100 million people worldwide died as a result of it. One town decided to shut itself off from the world in order to keep the flu at bay. Very interesting! I even used a few hours of precious mother's day out time to finish it.

That's all folks! Have a great weekend!

8 comments:

courtney said...

Oh, drive-thru's are my enemies! I can't tell you how many times they get our orders wrong--or, we don't get part of our order at all.

Have a great weekend!

SG said...

Wendy's is the only fast food burger place we go to anymore. And i think Matthews answer is right for 80 percent of us... except I tend to kill everything.

elizabeth said...

Stephanie, I am guessing that she was looking for food, medicine, and maybe carbon dioxide absorbers? I forgot to ask.

elizabeth said...

And I have seen your plants. You have a beautiful backyard!

Page said...

oohh, i'm gonna add that book to my amazon.com wish list!

my husband swore off mcd's our freshman year of college for that reason (not getting correct orders) and b/c the food is just so bad healthwise (though we have been known to hit up wendy's as well! LOL!) Anyhow, I joined him on this venture and neither of us has eaten anything from mcd's since 1999! I still can't believe it's been 9 years! I guess it hasn't changed much!

Meredith said...

When we lived there, that McDonald's and the Bush's down the road could never get our orders right. We were always missing a toy or fries from mcd's and gravy from Bush's. But, I do miss those 50 cent teas!

Amen, Matthew! =)

TMK said...

Exactly why we don't do fast food! Too many allergies they can play with in a paper bag. Having a kid with food allergies can be scary in the hands of someone who can't listen!

jpd said...

I try to let my boys know that while a job at McD's can at least be respectable if you have none...however watch and learn...most have no work ethic and do not appreciate the fact they have a job so therefore do not care if your order is right or not. I tell them study hard in school and you can bypass the fast food employment at lest at McD's. I wrote a comment on my comments about The Shack.