Monday, February 25, 2008
What's going on...
Lots going on around our house these days! We are wrapping up basketball and starting soccer and baseball. Having two boys who live for sports makes a very busy mother! I have gotten spoiled over the past few weeks with both the boys on the same basketball schedule. Now we are trying to balance Thomas's soccer and Matthew's piano, soccer, and baseball schedules. It will just be for a few weeks, but I am anticipating more take out food runs than normal!
After Thursday night's soccer practice, I asked Thomas to close the blinds while I got Mary Beth ready for bed. A few minutes later, I went to find Thomas and found him face down on his bed, dead asleep, still in his shin guards and cleats. He was burning up. I took him to the doctor on Friday, and he was diagnosed with the flu. He hadn't been sick since Michael's wedding two years ago, and I couldn't believe how pitiful he looked. He could hardly keep his eyes open. Thomas and I both got on Tamiflu (I can't imagine how I would manage our schedule if I was sick for two weeks with the flu!), and he was much better yesterday. Thomas being sick really made us pare down our activities all weekend, and I have to admit, it was great just being home.
After Bryon got home from church yesterday, we spent a considerable time in our yard gearing up for the spring. My fingers are sore today from so many thorn pricks, but being out there working in my garden has given me major spring fever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




12 comments:
love the photo of ME in frilly tulle skirt and football helmet!
Yes, Jenni, I saw them playing outside and thought it was definitely a "Kodak moment"!
Priceless precious picture!
We really scaled activities back a few years ago. After we had tried them all, we made the kids choose which 2 sports they really liked the most. Turns out, we aren't "that" into basketball or soccer. So we have most of the winter without a sport. Football fills up spring, summer and fall. And golf in spring and fall. Still play golf in the winter when the weather is good, but nothing organized during those months and it's AWESOME!
I just kept thinking, I want our home to be so nice and relaxing. A place of real retreat from the world. Yet we were never there. The thought entered my mind that having my nice family home was useless if we weren't there to do more than sleep in it.
We had friends who thought we were crazy when we made them choose sports, but it was really important to our family. I saw a real difference in my kids when we slowed down a bit. I know some kids thrive on MUCH activity, but mine needed some unstructured time.
Snapshot-
I think you have really good ideas. I am all for quiet family time. I know that we will not always do two sports at once. Matthew really enjoys soccer and baseball, and at some point, he will have to chose. I don't think he is old enough to really know which of the two he is wanting to stick with. At some point, we will cut out basketball, but Bryon has always coached him in this sport, so he has family time with Bryon and Thomas then.
We are adjusting to the new schedule by having a meal when they come home from school (soup, leftovers, etc.) and then eating a snack together after practice. Matthew thrives on tons of activity and has never once complained about having too much to do!
I am anxious to see how it all plays out, and am trying to be extremely organized so we do have down time as well.
Just from reading your blog, you ARE much more organized than me and can probably deal with the craziness of multiple sports much better than I can. I spaz out quickly when schedules overload.
We let ours try everything first too. They never know if they will like a sport until they try. It's so hard to strike a balance in life. Precious moments that will slip away much faster than we ever expected. My oldest will turn 17 in the spring and it seems like only yesterday he was playing 5 year old Saturday morning basketball. There is no way to describe how fast it goes.
Bless his little heart! Hope Thomas is feeling better.
I have been out in the yard working on my roses, too. I look like a cat has attacked me with all scratches!
Meredith
I love that first picture! So cute!
Hope Thomas is feeling better too.
So sorry Thomas had the flu. Allison missed 2 days of school this week with fifth disease. If it's not one thing it's another!
I know this is a dumb question, but what is fifths disease? I've never known.
Snapshot,
Thomas had it a few years back. He developed a fever and red, puffy, chapped looking cheeks. He got fifths and strep at the same time right before Michael's wedding. It makes me sad because he doesn't look like himself in those pictures!
Rhett came to the hospital from my in-laws the day Ella Kate was orn with Fifth's disease. His little cheeks looked like he had been slapped. The thing is by the time the cheeks are red they are no longer contagious. It's called fifths disease because it is the fifth disease in a family that includes rosiolla(sp?). It can be dangerous for pregnant women but most of us have had it by the time we are of child bearing age, we just might not know it.
EK has pink eye. Yuck.
Wow. So what are the other symptoms?
Post a Comment