Wednesday, August 29, 2007

An experience I have been fearing for 32 years.

I would love to say that we have spent the last two days relaxing at home, but we haven't stopped since the boys went to school!

After a day of running errands yesterday, Mary Beth and I went to pick up the boys. Thomas looked adorable sitting in the kindergarten line. Matthew was with him, and floods of memories of Matthew sitting in the same kindergarten line came back to me!

Matthew got in the car and said, "I just love 2nd grade! It is so different from 1st grade!"

I asked Thomas what he thought of kindergarten...

"Great!"

Anytime I would pry for more information, Thomas would either say, "I'll tell you tomorrow." or "I forgot."

I was complaining to my brother about this and he said he remembers getting annoyed with the question, "So, how was your day?" when Mom would ask him! I guess it's a guy thing.

This morning, I headed out to eat breakfast with friends and then had an appointment that I have been dreading for 32 years....

I had to have dental work done. Turns out, I have cavities for the first time.

Not one...
Not two....
Not three....
Not four.....

FIVE CAVITIES!

I nearly passed out when I heard this three weeks ago. I have never had a problem with my teeth, but started having tooth pain when I was pregnant with ME. The dentist has been watching spots for while, and it was finally time to bit the bullet and get them filled.

I was fairly brave during the ordeal, but I am feeling a little like the old gray mare ain't what she used to be. I am decaying.

Thank you to Lauren for watching Mary Beth. I don't feel like I was emotionally equipped to handle her during my first cavitiy experience!

Somehow, these past 7 hours have melted away again. Time to get the boys!

6 comments:

courtney said...

Ugh! So sorry about your teeth problems!!

The pics of your kids on their first day of school are so cute!
I, being the big Thomas fan that I am, was glad to hear he had a "great!" first day. If it makes you feel any better, Landry didn't offer up much more information, either--except about riding in the bus after school to daycare. Apparently this part of her day was a blast!

Anonymous said...

Yikes. I have had only two cavities until age 29 and I hate to say, I have had 4 since then with the very same thought you had: My body and health are wanting to go south. And where I do not mind one bit getting older, I do not enjoy my body wanting to give out on me. oh well. The pics of your big boys were precious and I am sure that ME is relishing her mommy time.

Now I hope this isn't a bother but I have an odd question. I have loved your recipes before for the Irish soda bread and your spaghetti, but I wonder if I could pick your brain a bit for another recipe. After 3 years of building our house from the ground up ( and it is still not in it's ideal state) we are going to have a house warming/open house party at the same time celebrating my baby's first birthday all rolled into one. And so the guest list is larger than our usual small impromptu get togethers. Now all my explanations are for this quick question: any ideas (food wise, & kid friendly activity) for a less stressful party? If you have the time and ideas please e-mail them to me at jkneumann@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

Mommy of Boys said...

Oh, poor E.! I hope you're feeling better.

Tesney said...

I had never had a cavity in my adult life until right after we got married...I had 4 at once! Since then I haven't had anymore. My dentist said that hormone changes can reak havoc on the teeth and that I might've been having some at that time due to b.c. pills, etc. At that point I became anal about my teeth...brushing all the time and flossing every single day. (Not that you don't...it's just I didn't floss often at that time). Not sure if that's the reason, but I've been lucky since then so maybe you got yours all out of the way at once as well!

PandaMom said...

I feel your pain! I just know I have some lurking in my teeth and yet I keep putting off the inevitable...I know, terrible idea...and always find some excuse not to go and get it all taken care of! Maybe you have made me a bit braver...wait, maybe not, yet! ; )

Deana Nall said...

Yesterday while waiting for my gyno appt., I kept telling myself, "At least I'm not at the dentist. At least I'm not at the dentist."