Sunday, October 06, 2013

3 weeks


We had a crazy 3 weeks to finish out the summer!  At one point, all three kids were in three different states without us!

Matthew went on a youth group trip to New Mexico.  It was called Summer Summit, but one kid got sick in their group, so they technically didn't summit the mountain.  Matthew was bummed about it and decided to call it Summer Failure.  :)  There were many other fun activities, though, including white water rafting.

Thomas went to Kanakuk.  No one loves Kanakuk Kamp quite like our Thomas!  It's his favorite thing to attend!  This was his last year to be at K Kountry, and so enjoyed all the benefits of being Big Man on Campground.  There is always a huge awards ceremony at the end of Kanakuk.  Lots and lots of awards are handed out!  Bryon texted me that it looked like Thomas didn't win a single award.  But then, they announced the final award, the Kanakuk Spirit Award, awarded to only two boys and two girls out of 200 kids.  Wouldn't you know that Thomas won it!  He was beaming!  So proud of our boy!





Mary Beth went with my parents to California.  Each grandkid gets to go with my parents to one of my dad's summer conferences.  The boys went to Washington DC with them.  Matthew, after kindergarten, and Thomas after 4th grade.  Well, it just happened to be that this year was a California trip, which was right up Mary Beth's alley!  They enjoyed Disney World, the San Diego aquarium, Seaport Village, and apparently, lots of yummy food! What a special trip for three of my favorite people!






Meanwhile, back in Texas, Bryon and I enjoyed spending our 17th wedding anniversary in San Antonio.  We have spent many anniversaries there since Bryon's annual Family Law conference is there.  Matthew was back home from his trip, but couldn't come with us because of football, so he stayed with his best friend for two nights to give Bryon and I a short getaway.  It's always so much fun and I have to narrow down my restaurant choices.  I love love San Antonio cuisine!


Another fun event during these three weeks was Bryon's brother's wedding.  Thomas was still away at camp, but Bryon and Matthew were groomsmen and Mary Beth was a jr. bridesmaid.  After the wedding, I headed home because of work, Bryon left for Missouri to pick up Thomas, and Matthew and Mary Beth spent a few days in Conroe by themselves.





 This picture makes me miss being 13!  Ha!


Also during these three week...yes there is more....were my 2 high school reunions!  The only benefit of moving halfway through your high school experience is that 20 years later, you can attend two parties! ;)  I went to Abilene for the AHS reunion, which might have been the most fun two days I have had in decades.  The Midway reunion wasn't as much fun, but I'm still glad I attended!






We also celebrated my 38th birthday and Mary Beth's 9th birthday slumber party.




Matthew is now officially taller than his mama...when I'm not wearing high heels, which he hates! Look out Bryon!  He's coming for you!

Anyway, after three crazy, fun, exhausting weeks, we were finally reunited!

We had lots of fun this summer, but I must admit that I was ready for it to be over.  Lots of sad changes occurred this summer.  Friends got divorced, best friends moving, and several dear friends lost loved ones, including the death of Bryon's beloved Granny Doris.  It was a summer to remember the lesson to cherish every moment.  Things can change in the blink of an eye.  Tell those you love how much you love them as often as you can!

No comments: