Friday, January 04, 2008

When does school start again?

OK, I love spending lots of quality time with my kids. They are just the cutest things, bless their hearts. But the last 48 hours, I have been reminded yet again why I don't home school.

*I have vacuumed up an entire box of breadcrumbs dug into the carpet meant for an afternoon snack for Mary Beth.
*Twice, I have vacuumed shredded cheddar from around the refrigerator and inside the door.
*I have had 130 pounds worth of boys in my lap fighting over who could snuggle with me.
*Washed my daughter from head to toe after she discovered a bottle of glitter in the Christmas decorations.
*Washed my daughter from head to toe again after she found the powder to make Jell-O pudding. She is normally not destructive at all. What up?
*Sopped up water from my carpet where Mary Beth was transferring her "pot" from her sink to her new kitchen.
*Cleaned up dozens of games.
*Vacuumed up lint from the boys' new rug that gets agitated after countless wrestling matches.
*Introduced Matthew to the band Heart. I was watching a concert of theirs on TV recently and now he is obsessed. I hear "How do I get you alone?" at the top of his lungs constantly.
*Heard Angels We Have Heard On High and The Twelve Days of Christmas on the piano (Matthew's piano recital pieces) fast, slow, in upper octaves, in lower octaves which is really challenging my sanity.
*I have been asked an average of 30 questions per minute. "How many vice presidents have taken office after a president dies?" "How do you spell Tepee?" "What is 330x499?" "What, you don't know? I thought mommies knew everything." "What does insult mean?" "Will you teach me what percents are?"

Yes folks, the holidays are over. Time for school to start again!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear someone else is having these experiences! I was commenting on your previous post when my neighbor dropped by so I had to stop. I was trying to think of a way to say, how have you had time to decorate the boys' room? I still have Christmas toys scattered everywhere! I have put the decorations away but need to dust and "redecorate" with the usual stuff. The kids are going 90 miles an hour and because I have two girls it is mostly whining and "fake crying". Monday can't get here soon enough! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I tell my kids all the time that I am not a human calculator or human dictionary!

Meredith

Mommy of Boys said...

Bless your heart! You're not going to know what do with yourself when it's just you and M.E. again.

SG said...

I'm right there with you!

Tesney said...

I can so relate, only not for school to start back but for daddy to be home again (see recent post). Today Clayton squashed and entire bag of tortilla chips into my shag rug, spit out chewed up carrots into the same rug, ate an entire brown crayon (paper and all), and threw a box of 150 brads-sending a shower of them all over the living room-I've been picking them out of the rug and finding them under cushions, furniture, etc all day. All of this while I was in the shower. I think I'm going to start tying him to something with his backpack leash.